Man from Wisbech arrested on suspicion of murder over disappearence of Terry McSpadden from his home in Elm, in 2007

PUBLISHED: 13:59 14 November 2011 | UPDATED: 17:27 14 November 2011

Terry McSpadden, who has been missing for nearly four years.

Terry McSpadden, who has been missing for nearly four years.

Archant 2011

Police have today arrested a 31-year-old man on suspicion of murder over the disappearence of Terry McSpadden. Officers have spent the afternoon searching his former home. A mobile police station has now been brought to the address.

Father-of-two Mr McSpadden, 24, who lived in Outwell Road, Elm, was last seen in March 2007, visiting a cashpoint on his way home from a pub in Wisbech.

Earlier this year, police carried out a major search of the countryside around the area of his last-known movements.

Beforehand, detectives said that after almost four years, they had “significant concerns” for Mr McSpadden’s well-being.

Today Norfolk police said: “As the result of enquiries completed so far by Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team officers, there continues to be a strong suspicion that unfortunately Terry McSpadden is no longer alive and therefore a significant line of enquiry for the investigation is that Terry has been unlawfully killed.

“As part of this ongoing investigation, a 31-year- old man from the Wisbech area, has today been arrested on suspicion of his murder. He is currently in custody being questioned.

“A property in Outwell Road Elm, is also being searched by officers, who are being assisted by other agencies with appropriate expertise, in connection with the investigation into Terry’s disappearance in March 2007.”

Terry McSpadden spent the evening of March 1, 2007, at the Locomotive Inn, in Wisbech.

On leaving the pub, which stands on the Lynn Road, he visited a 24-hour Tesco in Wisbech just before 1am, withdrawing money from a cashpoint, before being driven to his house on Outwell Road, Elm.

Mr McSpadden is believed to have gone to bed on returning home.

But the following morning, he did not turn up for work at the glazing company which employed him.

Text messages were sent to a workmate and friend the day after Mr McSpadden was last seen.

Police confirm they were sent from Mr McSpadden’s phone – but they can not confirm they were sent by Mr McSpadden. Since then, there has been no trace of him.

At the time of his disappearance, Mr McSpadden was described as being 6ft tall with brown eyes and at the time of his disappearance had short cropped light brown hair and a scar under his lower lip.

A man was arrested on suspicion of murder during the original 2007 enquiry, but he was never charged.

Related articles

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Latest from the EDP

Show Job Lists



max temp: 19°C

min temp: 13°C

Listen to the latest weather forecast