December 20 2014 Latest news:
Peter Walsh, Crime correspondent
Thursday, October 18, 2012
With Jimmy Savile’s alleged catalogue of child sex abuse growing seeminly by the day, it has emerged that Norfolk and Cambridgeshire police have received calls relating to the late DJ and television presenter as Crime correspondent PETER WALSH reports.
The Jimmy Savile scandal was exposed when ITV screened a documentary earlier this month in which five women alleged they were abused by the former Jim’ll Fix It and Top of the Pops presenter.
Since then it has emerged the alleged campaign of abuse could have spanned six decades and included around 60 victims.
Currently 14 police forces are working with the Metropolitan Police, who are leading the investigation, with Norfolk and Cambridgeshire police now confirming they have been in touch regarding calls in relation to Savile.
A spokesman for Norfolk police said: “Norfolk Constabulary has received three calls describing incidents involving Jimmy Savile. Two of these are reported to have happened in Norfolk and the third in another county. All information has been passed to the Metropolitan Police for their ongoing investigation.”
The spokesman also urged anyone else who thinks they might have been a victim of alleged abuse to contact police so it can be investigated.
He added: “Incidents such as these currently being reported in the media do cause people to think back and consider any incidents they may have experienced in the past. All reports of historic sexual abuse received by the constabulary are treated seriously and investigated thoroughly, with specially trained officers and partner agencies available to offer support.”
Both Norfolk calls involving Savile are believed to relate to incidents in Norwich, a city which he has visited regularly over the years.
On one visit, in October 1972, Savile “roved around Norwich in a Rolls-Royce as part of a visit to promote National Association of Youth Clubs’ week.
A newspaper report from the time describes Savile as “a twentieth century pied piper” with an “ever-lasting cigar replacing the magic pipe”.
The report stated “everywhere he went children crowded round to follow”. Savile, who saw the results of a sponsored clean-up on Mousehold Heath by youths from the Crome Youth and Community Centre, lunched at the Cellars of Wensum Lodge with members of the Norfolk and Norwich Association of Youth Clubs.
He also visited Heartsease Community Centre and rounded off his Norwich tour by calling in at the Lads’ Club.
Meanwhile, a Cambridgeshire police spokesman said: “We have received one complaint against Jimmy Savile. The allegations relate to two incidents in Middlesex during the 1970s. The victim, a Cambridgeshire woman, has spoken to officers and the case has been passed to the Met Police.”
Meanwhile the EDP also contacted Suffolk police but they confirmed no complaint against Savile had been received.
Scotland Yard, which is co-ordinating the investigation into Savile’s alleged offences, has said it is following up 340 lines of inquiry.
The Met have trebled their original estimates of the number of preyed upon youngsters, after soaring numbers of alleged victims have come forward in the wake of the scandal.
Last Tuesday police were investigating claims Savile abused 20 victims and this figure doubled to 40 potential victims on Friday. It is now thought there might be around 60 victims.
The alleged cases of abuse took place in studios, care homes, schools, hospitals and nightclubs.
Commander Peter Spindler, head of MPS Specialist Crime Investigations said: “We can now confirm that we have received information from the public that suggest allegations against Jimmy Savile span six decades with reports starting in 1959 up to and including 2006.
“Having now had the opportunity to review progress one week on I have revised my estimate of the number of likely victims to be about 60.
“Once again I want to thank those who have come forward and reassure them, and anyone else who contacts us, they will be listened to.”
The BBC has come under fire after it was revealed Newsnight abandoned an investigation into the alleged abuse in December 2011. The BBC has ordered two reviews. The first will look at why a BBC Newsnight investigation into abuse claims was not brought to air.
The second will look into the culture and practices of the BBC during the years that Jimmy Savile worked at the corporation, and afterwards. This will only start once police have indicated they are happy for it to proceed.
Savile worked at Radio 1 from 1969 to 1989 presenting a show of chart songs from previous decades.
The government has said the police investigation into allegations against Savile, who died in October 2011, was a priority. However, it did not rule out a wider inquiry in the future.