Jailed in Norfolk in May: Murderers, burglar and sex offender
PUBLISHED: 15:24 05 June 2017 | UPDATED: 16:37 05 June 2017
Here is our monthly look back at some of the criminals jailed in Norfolk courts in May.
• A 67-year-old man was jailed for 22 years and placed on the sex offender’s register for life after being convicted of a number of rapes, sex assaults and possessing indecent images of children.
Phillip Hipperson, of Longmead, Norwich, appeared for sentence at Norwich Crown Court after he was found guilty of five counts of rape, and three counts of indecent assault. All the offences were committed between 1980 and 2015 and involved three victims.
• A driver who used his car as a weapon when he deliberately drove at three men - leaving one victim with life-changing leg injuries - was jailed for 10 years.
Darren Blackmore, 44, of Laburnham Close, Wymondham, drove his Peugeot 307 car at the men in Vicarage Road car park, in North Walsham. One victim was struck so hard he was tossed into the air, and left with a broken pelvis, serious multiple leg fractures and a shattered kneecap, Norwich Crown Court heard.
• A Dereham man was jailed for a minimum of 28 years for murdering a pensioner in his own home in an attack that caused 100 separate injuries.
Richard Beane, 49, of Brunswick Close, Dereham, knew the victim from Toftwood Social Club, where they were both members, and shortly before the frenzied attack had carried out a distraction burglary there.
• A man who burgled the sheltered home of an 85-year-old pensioner as she slept in her bed was jailed for 20 months.
Stuart Brooke, 22, of Victoria Street, Norwich, crept in through an open window of the victim’s home at Doughty’s Hospital, in Golden Dog Lane, and stole her television, mobile phone and her purse, Norwich Crown Court heard.
• Peter Bamford, of Rosary Road, Norwich, was jailed for 16 months after admitting unlawful wounding.
He had stabbed his friend eight times causing a punctured lung after falling out over a discarded cigarette.
• A 20-year-old drug-runner from London was sentenced to 20 years behind bars after being found guilty of murdering Norwich man Steve Stannard.
Hassiem Baqir, from Howberry Road in Thornton Heath, was found guilty of murdering the 38-year-old who was found dead outside his flat in Bowers Avenue in November 2016.