Jailed in Norfolk in August: Former PE teacher, fraudster and paedophile
PUBLISHED: 11:24 05 September 2017 | UPDATED: 12:52 05 September 2017
Here is our monthly look back at some of the criminals jailed in Norfolk courts in August.
• A violent blackmailer who tried to extort cash from a vulnerable victim, who was threatened that his toe would be cut off, was given an extended 12 year sentence.
Leon Henry, 28, of Geoffrey Watling Way, Norwich, was convicted of two charges of blackmail, two charges of unlawful wounding, robbery and assault by beating. Henry had denied all offences. He will serve eight years of his sentence in jail.
• A serial sex offender described as “pure evil” who carried out a “campaign” of abuse involving five children was jailed for life.
Leonard Gabbitas, 51, formerly of Bungay Road, Scole, near Diss, admitted a string of sex offences, including rape involving four girls and one boy dating back to the late 1980s and early 1990s.
• A asylum seeker who escaped persecution in Iran for being gay was jailed after slashing his elderly former partner in the face with broken glass in a “horrific” attack.
Hemin Sharif, 29, of Vine Street, Gateshead, was jailed for five years and six months after admitting inflicting grievous bodily harm, and four months to run consecutively for stalking.
• A former Norfolk PE teacher has been jailed after being exposed as a “clandestine sex offender” who abused pupils.
Glyn Jones taught at two high schools in the county before he moved to Australia, but was brought back to England for a trial at Norwich Crown Court. The 57-year-old, whose given address was in Upper Coomeera, a suburb on the Gold Coast of Australia in Queensland, near Brisbane, admitted seven counts of indecently assaulting girls under the age of 16, and was sentenced to five years in prison.
• A fraudster who sent his victims cards and rocks instead of the mobile phones they paid for has been jailed for more than two years.
Ryan Bowles, of Byron Road, Great Yarmouth, carried out a string of scams using the websites Gumtree and Spareroom.com between March 2015 and May 2017. The 27-year-old pleaded guilty to 21 fraud offences, which left customers £8,870 out of pocket.
• A robber who claimed he was armed with a gun and threatened to shoot a terrified female shop worker during a raid at a supermarket in Aylsham was handed an eight year extended sentence.
Barrie Massey, 36, of Mill Road, Aylsham, went to Tesco’s lottery and cigarette kiosk wearing a hood as a disguise, and told the 18-year-old assistant that he wanted as much money as possible from the till, Norwich Crown Court heard.
• A “predatory and calculating” paedophile was jailed for 18 years and placed on the sex offenders’ register for life for a catalogue of sex offences against children.
Gary Izatt, 42, of Icknield Way, Thetford, admitted eight counts of rape, four counts of serious sexual assault, three counts of causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity, four counts of possession of indecent images and one sexual assault.