Jail for trio behind ‘loutish’ attack on German man in Norwich’s Prince of Wales Road

PUBLISHED: 09:59 29 April 2014 | UPDATED: 09:59 29 April 2014

Martin Cooke. Pic: Submitted.

Martin Cooke. Pic: Submitted.


Three men who were involved in an attack on a German man “minding his own business” in Prince of Wales Road have been jailed for a total of almost seven years.

Stevie Wildey. Pic: Submitted. Stevie Wildey. Pic: Submitted.

Norwich Crown Court heard the victim had been out in the city and was walking home when he was asked where he was from and when replied “Germany” was spat at and then attacked by three men.

The victim fell into an advertising hoarding before falling to the ground and suffered a broken knee, fractured wrist, bruising and two black eyes as a result of the attack which happened on April 4 last year.

The court heard his life has been “profoundly affected” by the attack following which he is yet to regain full movement in his leg and has suffered post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Three men, Martin Cooke, Stevie Wildey and Mark Stead, appeared yesterday to be sentenced in relation to the attack.

Mark Stead. Pic: Submitted. Mark Stead. Pic: Submitted.

Cooke, 25, of Appleyard Crescent, Norwich, was sentenced to a total of four years imprisonment, having previously admitted affray.

He also admitted grievous bodily harm in relation to an attack on a youth on September 5 2012 during which the victim suffered a fractured collarbone and a further offence of burglary, at Old Farm Lane, Norwich, on January 4 this year.

Wildey, 22, of Heigham Street, Norwich, whose behaviour was described as “utterly disgraceful”, was sentenced to a total of 24 months having previously pleaded guilty to racially aggravated grievous bodily harm.

Stead, 24, of Hillmead, Norwich, previously admitted affray and was given a 10 month sentence.

Sentencing the trio Judge Katharine Moore described the violence used towards the victim who was simply “minding his own business” as “the most unpleasant kind”.

Earlier Lindsay Cox, prosecuting, said the victim was walking home when he thought he heard someone greeting him and replied “Hi”.

He was then asked where he was from and replied “Germany”.

Mr Cox said Wildey was the instigator and spat at the victim who asked if the offender had any manners before being “approached aggressively” then attacked.

Jonathan Morgans, for Cooke, who the court heard was also in breach of a community order imposed for common assault and harassment of a previous partner, said in relation to the GBH on the youth it was something that he would “have to live with”.

In terms of the affray he said he should be given credit for his plea and was not involved at the “start” or the “finish” but said it was an “instantaneous reaction”. In terms of the burglary, Mr Morgans said Cooke played a “lesser role”.

Andrew Oliver, mitigating for Wildey, who also admitted being in breach of conditional discharges imposed for a separate theft offence and separate battery offence, was “extremely apologetic” for the injuries sustained by the victim.

He said Wildey never intended the injuries and accepted his behaviour was “extremely poor and loutish”.

But Mr Oliver said while his client accepted there had been a succession of punches there were no kicks or use of a weapon.

Jude Durr, mitigating for Stead, said his client was not involved at the very beginning or in the spitting adding his involvement amounted to a single punch.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Latest from the EDP

Show Job Lists



max temp: 7°C

min temp: 1°C

Listen to the latest weather forecast