Inquest of Wisbech teen Alisa Dmitrijeva, whose body was found on the Royal Estate in Norfolk, postponed
PUBLISHED: 14:56 17 March 2013 | UPDATED: 14:56 17 March 2013
Press Association Images
An inquest into the death of a teenager whose body was found on the Queen’s Sandringham Estate has been postponed as police continue to make inquiries, it emerged tonight.
Help us find out who killed Alisa
Alisa’s family spoke of their grief as investigations into her death continued. In a statement issued through Norfolk police, they appealed for people to come forward and help police investigating her murder.
“We have read about distressing things like this in the paper happening to other families – but we never thought anything would happen to us,” they said.
“Our family has been left devastated and in a state of grief and sorrow at the sad and untimely loss of our beautiful daughter, granddaughter and sister Alisa.
“Our hearts have been broken in the way Alisa was taken from us and we hope no other family has to suffer as we have.
“Please can you help us to find out what happened to Alisa, and who is responsible for her murder. Alisa had just finished college and I proudly look after her certificates which she never knew she achieved.
“She went missing just before they were delivered. We will never know how bright her future might have been.”
The remains of 17-year-old student Alisa Dmitrijeva were found by a dog walker in a copse at Anmer, near Sandringham House, on New Year’s Day 2012.
Two men arrested on suspicion of murder last September were released without charge. An inquest into her death was due to take place soon.
But tonight a Norfolk police spokeswoman said: “An inquest into the death of Alisa Dmitrijeva has been delayed as there is ongoing work being carried out as our inquiries continue.
“Anyone with information which may assist this investigation should contact the Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team on 101.
“We will continue to work closely with the coroner as a file is prepared for inquest.”
Police have not expanded on the nature of the “ongoing work”. But the revelation that the inquest has been put on hold suggests a new line of inquiry is now being pursued.
Alisa lived with her grandmother in Railway Road, Wisbech, after she moved to the UK from Latvia.
The last confirmed sighting of the teenager was at King’s Lynn’s Friars Street just after midnight on August 31, 2011, and she was reported missing by her family on September 6.
She had been due to enrol at the College of West Anglia the day after she was reported missing. Detectives believe Alisa had attended a beach party at Snettisham – about eight miles from where her body was found - on the evening of August 30 and into the following day.
Officers later searched the remote stretch of beach for clues. They were looking for Alisa’s black LG GM360 mobile phone, which they believed could hold vital evidence about her whereabouts at the time of her death. But the search drew a blank.
Last March, officers recovered a bottle-green Lexus GS300 they believed Alisa had travelled to Snettisham in from a Wisbech scrapyard, after appealing for information about the car.
Two men from the Wisbech area were arrested, but released without charge. The investigation was later passed to the coroner.