December 10 2013 Latest news:
Tuesday, October 1, 2013
A former nurse at a Norfolk hospital has been struck off after being found with indecent images of patients he was meant to care for.
Kuljeet Drubra worked at various hospitals around Norfolk, including at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital (NNUH).
Drubra was employed as a staff nurse in the hospital’s accident and emergency department from October 2005 until 2012, although the images date back to 2003.
Drubra, who lived in Lowestoft at the time of the offences, was convicted of voyeurism, indecent assault and possessing indecent images of children at Ipswich Crown Court on August 23 2012.
He was dismissed from his position at the NNUH in June last year for gross misconduct.
Drubra was sentenced to a three year community order and was required to attend a sex offenders group programme and was given a Sexual Offences Prevention Order for life.
After a hearing yesterday the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) struck Drubra from its register.
The NMC’s panel which sat the hearing was chaired by Andrew Coleman.
The panel heard that police had found the disks containing the images at his home in 2011. The dates on which the images had been taken, were printed on the images themselves.
They had been taken in 2003 and showed women on a trolley in what appeared to be a hospital, although it was not stated which hospital they had been taken in.
The panel noted that Mr Drubra’s curriculum vitae indicated that during the course of 2003, Mr Drubra had worked in several Norfolk hospitals, including the NNUH, although it is understood he was bank staff, rather than a permanent employee.
They panel found he had been in possession of a number of “indecent and inappropriate images” of patients between 2003 and October 2011.
Striking him off, Mr Coleman said: “The panel is mindful that a striking off order may be the appropriate sanction where the registrant’s behaviour is fundamentally incompatible with being a registered nurse, where there has been a serious departure from relevant professional standards, an abuse of a position of trust, serious sexual misconduct, where there has been a persistent lack of insight into the seriousness of actions, and where the charges relate to convictions or cautions.
“The panel is satisfied that these considerations are applicable in this case. If Mr Drubra were to remain on the register, the public would not be protected; it would seriously undermine the trust and confidence that patients have in the profession and the NMC as its regulator.”
A spokeswoman for the NNUH said Drubra had been suspended as soon as the police probe started in 2011 and was sacked when he was convicted.
She said: “The trust was informed by the police that Kuljeet Drubra was in possession of photographs taken in 2003. “Following consultation with the police, the trust referred him to the Nursing and Midwifery Council after he had been charged with sexual offences.
“Mr Drubra commenced employment with the trust in 2005 and was dismissed in June 2012 as a result of the police investigation.”