Monday, February 25, 2013
A 39-year-old man, described by a judge as carrying out an “appalling catalogue of behaviour” was jailed for 15 years and placed on the sex offender’s register for life after he was convicted of raping a 10-year-old girl and a string of sex assaults on boys and girls.
Darren Wooller, of Railway Road, Downham Market, was convicted of raping a girl when she was 10 and nine sex assaults on boys and girls, the youngest of which was just five.
The victims were two boys and four girls, all aged under 16 when the offences happened between May 2004 and February 2009.
Wooller had denied the offences and claimed he had been “set up” but he was convicted of all counts by the jury at Norwich Crown Court, after a trial lasting three weeks.
Jailing him, Judge Mark Lucraft told Wooller: “You are a thoroughly unpleasant man and bully and carried out assaults on six children over a two year period between 2004 and 2006. It was a catalogue of appalling behaviour and sex abuse.”
He said that his victims who were still trying to come to terms with the abuse.
He said a report put Wooller as being of “high risk” of causing serious harm to children.
As well as jailing him for 15 years Judge Lucraft also made him subject to a sexual offences prevention order under which he must not have any unsupervised contact with children under 16 and also banned him for life for working with children.
Charles Langley, for Wooller, said that he still did not accept his guilt and said that any sentence would be hard on his elderly parents.
“They have been finding this very hard indeed knowing they will lose their son for some time.”
He added: “He will come out a very different person to that who went in.”
Det Con Debbie Payne of Norfolk police’s Vulnerable People Directorate, who led the investigation, said: “For Wooller to receive such a sentence demonstrates the seriousness of his crime and his depravity.
“I applaud the victims bravery in coming forward, even though it is historic, his actions will remain with the victims for many years to come.
“Darren Woller took advantage of these children and no doubt thought he would not be caught. Although this was a historical investigation that began in October 2011 and has involved extensive enquiries due to the time which had elapsed, I’m very pleased to see him behind bars.
We will pursue all perpetrators robustly ensuring that we safe guard children now and for the future.”