Costessey man gets dates for fresh inquest into step-daughter’s death

Joanne Foreman's step-father Andrew Brown, who has vowed to continue to fight for answers as to how she was killed, after Norfolk police revealed mistakes made in the original investigation more than two years ago.  Photo: Bill Smith Joanne Foreman's step-father Andrew Brown, who has vowed to continue to fight for answers as to how she was killed, after Norfolk police revealed mistakes made in the original investigation more than two years ago. Photo: Bill Smith

Peter Walsh peter.walsh@archant.co.uk
Tuesday, June 17, 2014
9:38 AM

A Costessey man who took his battle to find answers about how his stepdaughter died to the High Court has been given a fresh inquest date more than three years after she died.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Joanne Foreman, who died in March 2011. Norfolk police revealed mistakes had been made in the original investigation and issued an unreserved apology to her family.  Photo: Bill SmithJoanne Foreman, who died in March 2011. Norfolk police revealed mistakes had been made in the original investigation and issued an unreserved apology to her family. Photo: Bill Smith

Andrew Brown was given permission to apply for a new inquest into the death of Joanne Foreman after police revealed “missed opportunities” in the original investigation and has been informed a three-day hearing will now take place in October.

Norwich shop worker Miss Foreman, 41, was pronounced dead at her home in St Helena Way, Horsford, on March 12, 2011 after being found by her partner.

An inquest in September 2011 heard the cause of Miss Foreman’s death was “unascertained”, although there was a suggestion she might have died from a combination of insulin and alcohol.

The coroner recorded a narrative verdict that it was not possible to reach a safe and reliable conclusion as to how she died. But Mr Brown, who lives at The Glade, near Folgate Lane, with his wife Suzanne, was unhappy with the verdict and has campaigned since to find out what happened in the original probe and subsequent investigations.

The retired businessman went to the High Court earlier this year after being granted permission to seek a new inquest last year and will now have a chance to appear at a three-day hearing at Norfolk Coroners Court on October 2, 3 and 6.

Mr Brown said: “We’ve got a date. I’m going to continue to fight. I’m still seeking to get justice for our daughter.”

Lord Justice Pitchford had earlier told the High Court that it was now agreed that the police investigation into Joanne’s death was inadequate.

Evidence that has come to light since the inquest had “effectively eliminated” the possibility that insulin played any significant part in Joanne’s death and the judge said that the entire inquest had proceeded on a “mistaken assumption”.

The High Court judge said it was therefore “in the interests of justice that a new inquest should be held”.

A police spokesman said: “We continue to assist the coroner and other interested parties in facilitating the new inquest into the death of Joanne Foreman.”

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Norfolk Weather

Heavy Rain

Heavy Rain

max temp: 16°C

min temp: 9°C

Five-day forecast

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT