Attackers who left victim, 50, hospitalised for four months jailed after GBH trial

PUBLISHED: 16:30 07 December 2017 | UPDATED: 07:51 08 December 2017

Scott Foskett and Darryl Long. Photo: Suffolk Constabulary

Scott Foskett and Darryl Long. Photo: Suffolk Constabulary

Suffolk Constabulary

Two men who inflicted life-threatening injuries on a 50-year-old man have been jailed for more than a decade each.

Scott Foskett, 35 of Ashfield Crescent in Lowestoft and Darryl Long, also 35, of York Road, Southend, were convicted of causing grievous bodily harm with intent at Ipswich Crown Court in September.

On Thursday, December 7, the pair were each sentenced to time in jail, with Foskett given an 18 year sentence (14 years in custody and four years to be served on licence) and Long sentenced to 12 years imprisonment.

The conviction relates to an incident which took place on November 10, 2015, in which a 50-year-old man was attacked by the men in his home in Marine Parade in Lowestoft.

The victim was struck around the head several times, causing him to suffer multiple facial fractures and a swelling on the brain.

As a result of his injuries, the victim spent more than four months in hospital with life-threatening injuries, followed by several more months in rehabilitation.

While he has since made a good recovery, he still suffers side effects from his injuries.

Severe damage was also caused to his home during the attack and his mobile phone was stolen, for which Long was convicted with robbery.

Foskett will also be serving a concurrent two-year prison sentence, given to him in relation to separate incident on July 22, 2017 at Pinewood Avenue, Lowestoft following an altercation in an alleyway with a 36-year-old man.

Foskett pleaded guilty to committing grievous bodily harm in October in relation to this incident.

Detective sergeant John Beales of Suffolk Police said: “The despicable attack carried out by Foskett and Long was made worse for all those involved by the defendants’ failure to admit their part throughout a two year long investigation.

“The victim is still suffering effects of the dreadful ordeal to this day and I would like to commend him for his courage in his ongoing recovery.

“I hope that today’s result brings some closure and enable him to move on with his life.”

A third man was found not guilty of the same crimes at the conclusion of the trial.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Latest from the EDP

Show Job Lists

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 21°C

min temp: 12°C

Listen to the latest weather forecast