Search

Couple told they no longer need to pay for repair work on ruptured gas pipe after reaching agreement with housing association

PUBLISHED: 13:07 07 September 2018 | UPDATED: 16:15 07 September 2018

Barry and Kristy Jezeph by the pipe which ignited after it was severed by an angle grinder. Picture: Chris Bishop

Barry and Kristy Jezeph by the pipe which ignited after it was severed by an angle grinder. Picture: Chris Bishop

Archant

A couple have been told they no longer need to pay for repairs of a ruptured gas pipe after reaching an agreement with their housing association.

The gas pipe encased in concrete which ignited. Picture: Chris BishopThe gas pipe encased in concrete which ignited. Picture: Chris Bishop

Barry and Kristy Jezeph were having a patio installed in the back garden of their terrace property in Willow Road, Hunstanton, when an angle grinder being used by their builder to remove concrete cut through the pipe on Wednesday afternoon.

They were previously told by Freebridge Community Housing, who owns the house, that they would have to foot the bill for repairs because they did not have written permission.

But after the inspector returned today Mrs Jezeph, 31, produced paperwork dating back to 2009 which gave them permission to dig up the concrete in their back garden.

Firefighters at the scene of the gas leak in Willow Road, Hunstanton. Picture: Chris BishopFirefighters at the scene of the gas leak in Willow Road, Hunstanton. Picture: Chris Bishop

She added: “It’s a relief, it was getting to the point where we were getting anxious and worried.”

A spokesman from Freebridge said: “We can confirm that we have been out to see the tenants again, and following further investigations have agreed that in this instance they will not have to pay for the repair work.”

Sparks from the angle grinder set the gas alight and the couple called 999. Neighbouring homes were evacuated as firefighters made the scene safe.

The Jezephs� rented home in Hunstanton. Picture: Chris BishopThe Jezephs� rented home in Hunstanton. Picture: Chris Bishop

“He was grinding it, it was all going fine and then all of a sudden there was a big ball of fire,” said catering worker Mr Jezeph, 32. “He put the grinder down, thinking it was that. Then a 5ft jet of flame went up the side of him – it was a gas pipe nobody knew was there, it wasn’t on the blueprint.”

Receptionist Mrs Jezeph said: “I called the fire brigade. They were here within 10 minutes, I can’t praise them enough. They were here in rapid time and evacuated the area. The police were here, they were brilliant as well.

“They made us all go up the end of the road but they kept coming up and informing us what was happening. It could have gone so differently. When it was all going on my only thought was we’re all safe.”

Related articles

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Latest from the EDP

Show Job Lists

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 21°C

min temp: 11°C

Listen to the latest weather forecast