Concern that Attleborough could miss out on youth funding
PUBLISHED: 10:42 05 September 2012 | UPDATED: 10:42 05 September 2012
©Archant Photographic 2008
Concerns have been raised that Attleborough could miss out on funding to boost facilities for young people.
A Breckland Youth Advisory Board has been established by the Benjamin Foundation charity as a result of funding from Norfolk County Council.
However, Attleborough Town Councillors have raised concerns that the town may miss out on the £45,000 allocated because the interests of the town have not been represented on the board.
Anita Beckett, who is overseeing the project, apologised to councillors at a meeting on Monday night after Attleborough “did not get the best representation” on the board because the scheme was working to a tight timescale.
“We want to consult directly with young people in the communities and get a diverse range of views. There are a lot of Christian and faith based organisations and that is not always suitable for every young person.”
“I am aware of a fantastic boxing club in Attleborough and is an example of best practice to other organisations,” she said.
The scheme has funding for a year and aims to assist communities to set up new groups and services for young people.
Richard Middleton said he was worried that Attleborough could miss out because the town’s youngsters had not been involved so far.
Town councillors have pledged to help the board by approaching local schools and existing youth clubs to get the views of youngsters in Attleborough heard.