March 17 2014 Latest news:
Wednesday, December 25, 2013
Christmas Eve’s fire strike passed without major incident across Norfolk – with three of the four calls received turning out to be false alarms.
The fourth, a car fire in Western Road at 11.07pm, had been extinguished by the time emergency cover crews had arrived.
Fire Brigades Union members walked out between 7pm and midnight in the latest episode of their dispute with government over changes to their pensions, though the service was able to provide a 999 response.
Crews attended automatic fire alarms in Sheringham at 7.23pm, and Gaywood at 8.18pm, and a report of a building fire in Great Yarmouth at 9.01pm. All were false alarms.
Further strikes are planned over the festive period, with the next between 6.30pm on New Year’s Eve and 12.30am on New Year’s Day. A third strike will take place between 6.30am and 8.30am on Friday, January 3.
Around half of fire stations will be closed temporarily.
FBU members in the control room were also instructed not to undertake voluntary overtime on Christmas Eve, and firefighters have been told to refuse voluntary overtime between 7pm tomorrow and 7pm on Sunday – both of which may have a limited impact on operations, says the service.
The fire service says it will continue to operate a 999 response service during the strikes action, but calls will be prioritised as they come in if necessary. The service has also asked that the public assist them by placing extra emphasis on their own safety and following simple safety tips available at http://www.norfolkfireservice.gov.uk/nfrs/