March 2 2015 Latest news:
Thursday, January 30, 2014
Traders and residents of Bungay have accused Suffolk County Council of not listening to their concerns as a main road through the centre of the historic town centre will be closed for seven weeks.
The controversial town centre improvement scheme has the backing of the chamber of commerce and the town council but a number of traders remain opposed and believe the £440,000 project is not needed.
Work started earlier this month and will take 16 weeks to complete in five stages. County council officials have met with traders and residents at two special meetings.
Sandie Flatt, of Trinity Street, Bungay, attended the latest meeting and said: “It is evident now that this was a ‘one-way briefing’ for the traders rather than a two-way meeting between Suffolk County Council and traders in Bungay to try to resolve access issues to the shops during the roadworks.”
During the closure of St Mary’s Street, expected to last for seven weeks from February 10, large vehicles will continue to be diverted via Flixton. However cars and buses will be able to travel north through the town using Trinity Street.
Two-way signals will be in place during the working day.These will be removed overnight and on Sundays to allow one-way access in both Trinity Street and St Mary’s Street.
A spokesman for Suffolk County Council said: “We will be working with Anglian Buses to arrange alternative temporary bus stops for the closure period.
“Access to the car parks and businesses will be retained throughout the works, with our highways service working closely with affected businesses and residents.
“Pedestrian access will be retained throughout and two hours’ free parking has now been introduced.”