Brave man describes how he tackled bungalow fire at Scarning, near Dereham

PUBLISHED: 16:44 10 February 2013 | UPDATED: 16:44 10 February 2013

Soames Place in Scarning, where a candle caused a fire in the bedroom of a bungalow

Soames Place in Scarning, where a candle caused a fire in the bedroom of a bungalow


A brave carer has re-lived the drama of putting out a fire in his neighbour’s bungalow.

The blaze in Soames Place, Scarning, is believed to have been started by a candle in a bedroom at about 12.45pm on Wednesday.

Terry Burrell, 59, lives in the adjoining bungalow and heard the screams of the young woman who lives next door and was on her own at the time.

She got out out of the bungalow and Mr Burrell started to tackle the fire.

“I could see flames everywhere and I went into panic mode and grabbed my extinguisher and went round.”

Mr Burrell - who lives with his wife Amy and 13-year-old son - fought the flames and when the extinguisher ran out, he went back to his home to get a rake to pull things out and another extinguisher.

He realised the woman’s puppy was in the front room but he could not get to it because of the smoke.

Mr Burrell managed to put the fire out and when the fire crews arrived, they rescued the dog and completed the operation and ventilated the property.

“I explained to them what I had done and the fire officer thanked me for what I had done but said I had risked my own life.

“I just went in to overdrive and had to do something when I saw the young lady screaming.”

The woman went to hospital as a precaution.

Mr Burrell spent more than four hours in hospital and was given a series of tests and an x-ray due to breathing in smoke.

Related articles

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Latest from the EDP

Show Job Lists

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 3°C

min temp: 1°C

Listen to the latest weather forecast