The first phase of a multimillion pound project to repair and reinforce Great Yarmouth’s sea defences is underway.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Environment Agency (EA) experts were at Yarmouth’s Town Hall today to explain the importance of their £28.6m scheme to repair the flood wall in Cobholm and Southtown.

The first phase of work will see 128 metres of existing tidal defences along the quayside reconstructed. The work, taking place between Richard’s Dry Docks and Ferry Lane, has already started and is expected to last seven months.

Dr Charlie Beardall, area manager from the EA, said the scheme was the agency’s “most significant” recent investment in flood defences

- and “absolutely vital” for residents and businesses.

He said: “A lot of people in Yarmouth are at risk of flooding; nearly 10,000 properties are in the flood plain. It’s paramount that the flood walls are up to the job and can protect people if there is flooding.

“They stood up to the big test on December 5 when the tidal surge hit, but we need to be confident that they will do the same if it happens again.

“This work we’re doing now is not as a result of that surge or of the 2007 flooding, we’ve been working on this for many years and it has taken a long time to get the funding in place.”

A total of 660 metres of flood wall will eventually repaired, protecting more than 2,500 properties.

The first phase, due to last from now until 2016, will be followed by further extensive works over the next 20 years.

At the drop-in session yesterday - an event organised by Yarmouth MP Brandon Lewis and supported by the EA and Great Yarmouth Borough Council in light of last month’s tidal surge, members of the public were encouraged to find out more about what happened on December 5, why and how to protect their homes if it happens again.

The EA’s £28.6m flood defence scheme secured planning permission in February last year.

The cash has been allocated from a £120m acceleration and economic growth fund announced in the 2012 Autumn Statement intended to speed up the construction of around 50 flood schemes across England.

The drop-in session runs until 7pm today, Friday.

3 comments

  • What a waste of money! Let the sea take it back!

    Report this comment

    Nelson

    Friday, January 31, 2014

  • I'm sure Mick Castle has a plan to stop the rising water - maybe he can wade out next high tide, wave his NCC badge at the waves and command the sea to stop in it's tracks?

    Report this comment

    User Removed

    Saturday, February 1, 2014

  • I take it Nelson that you don't live on a flood plain in Yarmouth, neither do I, but I wouldn't like to see hundreds or even thousands of people lose their homes. Yes, you can say it's their fault for buying property on or near a flood plain, but tidal surges don't stick to flood plains. Area's that flood do need defences and these defences stop the floods from going further.

    Report this comment

    Spooky

    Friday, January 31, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Norfolk Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 14°C

min temp: 11°C

Five-day forecast

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT