May 20 2013 Latest news:
Emma Knights and Anne Edwards
Wednesday, February 13, 2013
A post mortem into the deaths of Barry and Jean Ellis who were found dead at their seaside home has failed to establish an exact cause of death.
Initial findings however, have suggested that Mrs Ellis, who was in her late 60s, may have died from natural causes.
Further toxicology tests are set to be carried out to establish the exact cause of death and a file has now been passed to the coroner, with an inquest set to open soon.
Police said there was no evidence to suggest that either death was due to carbon monoxide poisoning, which had been speculated.
Officers also confirmed that the couple’s deaths are not being treated as suspicious.
Emergency services forced their way into the Ellis’ detached bungalow in Upper Grange Crescent yesterday lunchtime, after the alarm was raised by window cleaner Roy Holland.
Mr Holland had turned up to clean the windows as normal but became concerned when he saw full bottles of milk outside the property.
He said: “There was six pints of milk on the door step so I asked a couple of neighbours, has anyone seen them and no one had for a couple of days.
“The cars were on the drive, they never go on holiday, they hadn’t come out and they never went out without each other.”
Mr Holland then looked through a window and saw Mr Ellis, in his 70s, slumped in a chair and immediately called emergency services.
Police soon arrived and had to force their way into the property, where they found the couple.
The deaths have stunned and saddened neighbours, who described the Ellis’ as “friendly” and “pleasant”.
Today the front door of the bungalow had been boarded up and police were still on scene, guarding the property.
A driver had to be rescued from a river in Thetford after the Ford Focus he was travelling in came off the road.
Sunshine and Showers
max temp: 12°C
min temp: 10°C