March 3 2015 Latest news:
Wednesday, March 26, 2014
The A47 has tonight re-opened after being closed for almost eight hours following a crash in which three people were killed.
Police are still investigating the cause of the head-on crash involving a car and a lorry, which happened on a single carriageway stretch of the road between the Carpenter’s Arms and East Winch Church at about 11.15am today.
The dead have not been named, but are understood to be a middle-aged couple and a man in his 30s, who are not from Norfolk.
The East Anglian Air Ambulance said: “Despite the best efforts of all those at the scene, unfortunately nothing could be done to help these patients. Our thoughts are with their family and friends at this sad and difficult time.”
The driver of the articulated lorry, which was believed to be travelling on the east-bound carriageway, received what were described as minor injuries.
The A47 was closed following the crash but Norfolk police tweeted this evening that the road reopened shortly before 7.10pm.
The stretch where the crash occurred has a 50mph speed limit. North West Norfolk MP Henry Bellingham said he had been campaigning to have it reduced to 40mph.
“We don’t yet know what caused this accident, but speed does kill,” he said. “Any injury or loss of life is tragic. My heart-felt sympathy goes out to the relatives of the victims. There are lessons to be learned and improvements which must be made.”
Specialist crash investigators have been called in to examine the crash scene. While visibility was good, the weather was cold and overcast, and the road had seen a light amount of rain.
Officers will examine the vehicles involved, to check for defects which might have contributed to the collision, such as defective brakes or worn tyres.