Protest to be held about Bungay one-way system
06:30 20 September 2012
A protest march will take place in Bungay town centre on Sunday against a one-way system that has been introduced.
Traders and shoppers are to unite at 11am as they show their anger at Suffolk County Council and Bungay Town Council, after the trial scheme began on Sunday, September 9.
A campaign was run before it was introduced and opponents are again calling for it to be scraped with complaints about new chicanes, pedestrian crossings being turned off, poor signage, insufficient loading space and dangers for cyclists.
Bob Prior, of the Bungay Scheme Opposition Group, said he had heard of numerous cases of cars going the wrong way along St Mary’s Street, with accidents and people falling over on the new kerbs.
“Everything we said is coming true. We did not want to be in this position to say we told you so, we wanted what is best for the town,” he said.
Jenny Futter, of Bungay Shopper, added she thought even people who were in favour of the system had changed their opinions.
“All last week I couldn’t find one customer who thought this was a good idea,” she said.
The system has been brought in as part of the county council’s Local Transport Plan. The trial has cost £100,000 and a decision will be made on its future in the next six to 18 months.
David Ritchie, county councillor for Bungay, said it was important it was given time and that changes were being made to address concerns.
He said: “Bungay is very much open for business and people should not be put off visiting our beautiful town.”
A police spokesman said there had not been an increase in the number of accidents reported to them but that they had been raising “genuine grievances” to the county council.