Photo gallery: Lowestoft area in the snow
09:22 18 January 2013
Archant © 2013
People in the Lowestoft area woke up this morning to find a large covering of snow in the town and surrounding areas.
Only travel if necessary but if you do, remember to check these before you go:
- Antifreeze: Check coolant regularly, and top-up with mixture of the right type
- Battery: A battery more than five years old may struggle in cold weather.
- Petrol: Keep at least a quarter of a tank in case of delays
- Lights: Clean and check all lights regularly, and carry spare bulbs
- Tyres: They should have at least 3mm tread and check the pressure every fortnight
- Windscreen: Clear it completely before leaving
- Screenwash: Use 50pc mix of a good quality screen wash to reduce chance of freezing
- Locks and seals: Stop doors freezing shut with a thin coat of Vaseline on rubber door seals
Because of the weather conditions a dozen schools in the region were closed, while others were opening later and others are closing earlier this afternoon.
The closed schools are Denes High School, which is only open at 1pm for a religious study exam; Pakefield High School; the East Point Academy; Beccles Free School at Carlton Colville; Whitton Green CP School; Woods Loke CP School; Ashley School; Cartlon Colville Primary School; Barnby and North Cove CP School; Southwold Primary School; Somerleyton Primary School and the Warren School.
Village Rise Childrens Centre, Roman Hill Childrens centre and Ark Childrens Centre were closed.
Due to the snow Waveney District Council all bin collection were cancelled.
A council spokesman said: “All collections are cancelled due to the appalling weather in the district making it both dangerous for the teams and impossible to get to the homes.
“All those bins due to be collected today should be put out again on Monday when Waveney’s Norse teams will attempt to collect them. “Those due a Monday collection should also put their bins out as normal.
“It is likely that garden and food waste collections will be cancelled though to free up that resource to carry out the collections, but this will be confirmed later.”
RSPB Minsmere near Southwold was closed as the access was road was impassable
Police in Lowestoft said there were traffic problems and warned motorists to drive carefully and allow for extra time if they have to go out.
If you have any pictures of the snow in Lowestoft or have experienced many problems email email@example.com