Here is a look back at the EDP’s coverage of the 1987 storm from 19th October 1987.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Old people trapped at home without light or heat could be in danger during lengthening power cuts, Norfolk social services chairman Fred Mullender warned last night.

“The whole of social services is on the alert for potential problems,” said Mr Mullender, but he urged people in villages without electricity to keep a neighbourly eye on old people.

In some places, only one or two houses are still black out while the rest of the community enjoys the return of power. If pensioners are affected, neighbours could step in with a hot meal and hot water and ensure there is a safe form of heat and light.

Norfolk County Council chairman Harold Rose, former county Age Concern chairman, strongly supported Mr Mullender’s call.

“It is often the people who are most in need whose pride won’t let them ask for help,” he said.

“A good neighbour doesn’t wait for a yell for help; popping round to make sure everything is alright never does any harm.

He said Age Concern would work closely with the county social services if there was any old person who needed help during the power cuts.

Howeverm both Mr Rose and Mr Mullender thought the remarkable community spirit which had sprung up in blacked-out communities would ensure that most old people were not forgotten.

At the second attempt, a large tree which had blown into the Little Ouse at Thetford was hauled clear on Saturday.

A first attempt on Friday night at Mill Lane failed and it was not pulled out and sawn up until the following morning. Meanwhile the Mill Lane and Nun’s Bridges Road junction was flooded and closed to traffic for the second time in a week.

Residents at a private nursing home were brought relief in the shape of a fire tender at the weekend after their water supply failed.

Red House nursing home at Kilverstone, by the side of the A11 on the outskirts of Thetford, was without power and without water.

The water supply, from within the nearby Kilverstone estate, failed when the power went down, leaving the dozen or so residents in difficulty.

A Thetford water tender, with Asst Div Offr Frank Lane in charge, turned out yesterday morning to top up the header tanks in the roof to enable residents to wash and use toilets again. Up to then, members of staff had been bringing in small amounts of water in buckets.

With several areas in the south west of the country without power at the weekend, part-time fire crews found an extra difficulty.

Without mains power and with batteries at fire stations run down, the automatic call out system for the local crews was out of action.

At Watton and at East Harling, retained firemen were having to work in shifts to man a round the-the-clock watch so that they could be contracted by the fire tender radio in the case of a call and then pull in the rest of the crew with a local warning.

Attleborough’s intended home football match for the A team had to be called off on Saturday after six trees were brought crashing across the pitch.

And to prevent others trees falling on to neighbouring bungalows in Arlington Gardens, a JCB digger was brought on to the pitch to hold them with ropes. Yesterday morning’s match also had to be postponed for the second Sunday in a row while clearing-up operations were under way.

The airwaves proved a little too rough for Norfolk Scouts preparing for the weekend’s international Jamboree on the Air – a mobile lattice mast put up at county Scout headquarters in Eaton Vale, Norwich, was crumpled by the wind.

Even so, Scouts were able to talk to fellow Scouts from all over the world and from other British Scout groups – thanks to radio amateurs.