Video: Norfolk residents hit back at restaurant critic AA Gill
PUBLISHED: 18:51 03 March 2011 | UPDATED: 09:09 04 March 2011
Villagers and business owners have spoken out against restaurant critic AA Gill after he described the county as ‘the hernia on the end of England’.
The controversial critic reviewed the Rose and Crown at Snettisham in the Sunday Times at the weekend, but spent most of the time taking pot-shots at Norfolk.
Among his comments were:
• “If Norfolk didn’t exist, we would have to make it up, and then regret it”
• Norfolk is a “backward place to allocate dark lusts, incest and idiocy”
• “A poverty-bitten place, keeping up its stained trousers with baler twine”
Gill has a track record of upsetting people. He has previously offended the people of Wales, the Isle of Man – and TV presenter Clare Balding.
• Watch this video to see how Norfolk residents have responded to the review
• What do you think of AA Gill’s comments? Let us know by leaving a comment below.