A-Z of Norfolk nostalgia: A history of Elveden in pictures
Take a trip down memory lane with our A-Z of Norfolk and Suffolk’s towns and villages. Continuing with E, we take a brief look at the history of Elveden.
Elveden is a village in Suffolk situated along the A11. Woodland retreats and wealthy land owners are just two of the elements that make it such an intriguing place.
This small village is centred around the Elveden Estate. In 1863 Maharajah Duleep Singh purchased the country home. He envisioned refurbishing it, dressing it with Italian style and fine Mughal interiors to match what he had been accustomed to.
After his death in 1893 it was sold in 1894 to the First Earl of Iveagh, Edward Cecil Guinness, who was an Irish businessman. He had a keen interest in shooting and Elveden was alleged to be one of the finest sporting estates in the country.
The present Lord Iveagh lives here.
Elveden is also home to a Center Parcs which first opened in 1989.
In 2000, an archaeological dig by the British Museum and Time Team unearthed evidence of human activity dating back 400,000 years at the holiday site.
Sadly, in 2002, a devastating fire destroyed the central plaza. A redevelopment project was swiftly launched resulting in Center Parcs being reopened to the public in 2003 after the £60m rebuild was finished.