Logo

Revised application for retirement development cuts block down a storey

PUBLISHED: 10:23 14 February 2018 | UPDATED: 12:30 14 February 2018

Shaftesbury Court in Lowestoft, which is proposed to be replaced by a four storey block of retirement homes. Picture: Google

Shaftesbury Court in Lowestoft, which is proposed to be replaced by a four storey block of retirement homes. Picture: Google

Google

Plans for a 40-home retirement development on the Lowestoft seafront have been tweaked by developers following a number of concerns raised by the public.

In September, Sanctuary Supported Living submitted a planning application proposing the demolition of the existing care home at Shaftesbury Court, to be replaced with a four-storey block of flats.

However, after receiving numerous objections from both the public and statutory bodies, it has now submitted revised plans.

Revised plans submitted have scrapped one storey from the building, along with the number of dwellings inside, now proposing a three-storey building consisting of 30 homes.

In a revised design and action plan, prepared on Sanctuary’s behalf by Farningham Planning Ltd, planners state the main concerns were with the building’s height.

The statement said: “The main concerns raised relate to the height of the proposed building and its impact on the neighbouring properties and perceived lack of car parking.”

Fears were raised previously that the site provided just 20 parking spaces for its 40 homes, leading to concerns that parking would spill over into nearby roads.

The revised plans still only account for 20 spaces, though the homes to spaces ratio is now significantly lower.

However, the altered plans have still received several objections from residents.

Gary Leggett, of Kirkley Cliff Road, raised several concerns, including the building’s proximity to its site boundary, the car parking provisions and that it could hinder any potential expansion of St Mary’s Primary School.

He said: “On a personal level, I object to having two floors of flats, including balconies, looking directly into my bedroom and bathroom, which is opposite the development.”

Another resident, Olive Ray, said they had recently moved into Lancing Court on Rectory Road, but had they been aware of the development prior they would never have bought the flat to begin with.

The revised plans have also received concerns from Mark Seamon, Suffolk Coastal and Waveney District Council environmental protection officer.

In his response, he raises concerns developers are yet to carry out sufficient contamination reports for the site.

He said: “This report is still not fit for purpose.”

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest Articles

Meet the Editor

Caroline Culot

Email
Twitter

I am the property editor in charge of delivering some exciting and informative content within Archant’s varied titles. We have 16-17 pages of stories, features and columns in the EDP Property supplement out every Friday free in your EDP so please don’t miss it.

Most Read