Logo

Controversial Stow Bedon housing bid, which residents said was unsuitable for their village, refused

PUBLISHED: 18:30 15 February 2018 | UPDATED: 08:32 16 February 2018

The proposed site layout of the eight-house development in Stow Bedon. Picture: David Futter Associates

The proposed site layout of the eight-house development in Stow Bedon. Picture: David Futter Associates

Archant

A controversial resubmitted bid to build houses in a small village, which many residents felt would harm its character, has been refused.

A controversial resubmitted bid to build houses in a small village, which many residents felt would harm its character, has been refused.

The application - which had been dismissed by a planning inspector in July last year - to build eight houses in Stow Bedon, near Watton, was refused by Breckland Council’s planning committee.

Councillors agreed with the planning officer’s statements, which said the proposal was in an “unsustainable location” with a “heavy reliance” on the need to own a car with limited public transport options.

It was also rejected due to the impact the development would have on the appearance of the area, with its “urbanising character to the detriment of the character and visual amenities of the area”.

Residents’ association member Hannah Reed said: “We are really pleased.

“Public opinion was overwhelmingly against the application as it was inappropriate.

“We were really pleased that Breckland Council felt the same way and listened to the vast majority of people.”

She added that the 20 residents who turned up to the meeting to see the result showed the strong feelings of opposition.

MORE - Residents’ anger as housing application for homes in Stow Bedon, near Watton, which was rejected by a planning inspector, is resubmitted

Submitted by David Taylor, the application was dismissed by inspector Richard Schofield following a planning inquiry because it “would harm the character and appearance of the area”.

Mr Taylor amended the bid to six five-bedroom houses and two affordable houses, which started as three-bedroom homes but were reduced to two.

Set in four acres of land close to the former village pub - the Prince of Wales - Mr Taylor said the houses would bring new life to the area together with initial employment.

He said he will challenge the decision.

Breckland Council received 28 letters of objection, with Stow Bedon and Breckland Parish Council objecting in the “strongest possible terms”.

The small village has 130 properties, no amenities and has a very limited bus service.

Parish councillor Andrew Hayward had previously described the application, originally submitted in March 2016, as a “housing estate” which he said was “out of character with the village scene”.

Latest Articles

Meet the Editor

Caroline Culot

Email
Twitter

I am the property editor in charge of delivering some exciting and informative content within Archant’s varied titles. We have 16-17 pages of stories, features and columns in the EDP Property supplement out every Friday free in your EDP so please don’t miss it.

Most Read