August 30 2014 Latest news:
Ben Woods, Business writer
Friday, April 4, 2014
A Norwich branch of Natwest is being axed as part of far-reaching cuts by the Royal Bank of Scotland.
The Prince of Wales Road branch will close along with 43 other sites across the UK after the bailed-out lender witnessed a 30pc drop in branch transactions since 2010.
It is understood that the RBS branch on Queen Street, Norwich, and other Natwest branches across the city will be unaffected by the cut backs.
A spokesman for taxpayer-back RBS said: “Banking has changed significantly over the last few years as more and more of our customers are banking with us where and when it is convenient for them.”
He added: “We have to adapt to what our customers want, which is why we’re investing in a range of other ways our customers can bank with us, including online and telephone banking, our mobile app, and in any one of the Post Office’s 11,500 branches across the UK.”
RBS said it had been telling affected customers about the closures over the past two months.
Campaign group Move Your Money said RBS had “consistently undermined the interests of its customers and wider society since being bailed out in 2008”.
• Do you have a business story for the Eastern Daily Press or Norwich Evening News? Contact business writer Ben Woods on 01603 772 426, or email email@example.com
A Norwich-based business which started as a “man with a van” operation is eyeing further expansion after seeing its predicted turnover increase from £6,000 to £340,000 within five years.