June 19 2013 Latest news:
Thursday, March 29, 2012
Bosses behind a proposal to build a new nuclear power station on the Suffolk coast have reiterated their commitment to the project.
Vincent de Rivaz, chief executive of EDF Energy, was speaking after two of the “big six” energy companies pulled out of developing new nuclear plants in the UK, in what was described as a “devastating blow” for the Government’s energy policy.
Mr de Rivaz said his company were still committed to building a new power station at Sizewell.
He said: “EDF Energy and Centrica remain focused on our project and nothing has changed with regard to that. We are determined to make UK new nuclear a success.”
He was spaeaking after RWE npower and E.ON said they would not proceed with their “Horizon” project, which looked to develop nuclear reactors at Wylfa in North Wales and Oldbury-on-Severn in Gloucestershire.
The German-owned companies said they were looking for a new owner for Horizon Nuclear Power in the light of a number of considerations, including the global economic crisis and significant costs of the project.
The German government has announced all that countries nuclear power plants are to close in the wake of the Fukushima nuclear disaster last year.
Gary Smith, of the GMB union, said: “This is a devastating blow which leaves the UK Government energy strategy in tatters.”
Businesses can breath a sigh of relief at the news that dredging operations at Wells will resume today after being suspended for more than two months over a licensing issue.